ASKED QUESTIONS - (FAQ)
What is a Browser?
Browser is a Program you install on your computer to access the
web. The browser reads the web pages and interprets the commands
they include to produce an eye-friendly page on your screen. The
two main web browsers are Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape
What is a search engine?
A Search Engine is a queriable database on the Internet, which helps
you to find the topic or web-site of your choice. For example :
do I delete files in the cache or the location tool bar?
In the browser menu,
Click on Tools -> Internet Options.
Click on "Clear History" button.
are Back and Forward buttons for?
Back Button: Clicking on this returns you to the previous page visited.
Forward Button: Clicking on this takes you to the next page on the
series pages that you have just visited.
What is the "Refresh" button?
Click this to update (reload) the current page if all the latest
or expected information did not appear. This is helpful if you see
old information on a page that is updated frequently or if graphics
What is "Home" Button?
Click this to go to your home page (the first page you see when
you open your browser).
is an ISP?
An ISP (Internet service provider) is a company that provides individuals
and other companies access to the Internet, and other related services
such as Web site building and hosting. Netscape is not an ISP. Examples
of an ISP are companies such as Sify, VSNL, hathway etc just to
name a few.
is the address bar ?
Type Web-page addresses (URLs) here, or paths to documents on your computer.
I am unable to browse any site?
1. Check whether the DNS Configuration is disabled or enabled in the network
icon of the control panel. If disabled, enable it and give the domain
name as enotes.in and DNS Server Search Order as 18.104.22.168.
2. The browser (Netscape / Internet Explorer) may be corrupted, reinstall
the browser .
What is a DNS?
"DNS" (Domain Name Server) refers to the way that your computer
tries to look up the name of a serverto find its numeric IP address so
that it can connect to the server. It is similar to looking a phone number
up in a telephone directory when you want to call someone on the phone.
What is an E-mail account?
An e-mail account is the arrangement you have made with an ISP in which,
space is allocated on a server for your mail, and in which you are assigned
the right to send and receive e-mails. Some people have more than one
e-mail account, with each account having its own e-mail address. For example,
a person might have one e-mail account on their company's network, and
another account with his ISP for his personal e-mail needs.
What is an E-mail address?
Your E-mail address is a unique address of your mailbox provided by your
ISP. When someone wishes to send you a message, they send it to this email
address, and the message is directed over the Internet to your mailbox.
e-mail addresses share the same three components, arranged in a row:
The name of your account, also called your "user name" An "@"
symbol. which stand for the work "at"Your Isp or network's name.For
example, if your user name is "vignesh" with an ISP named "vsnl.net"
your email address would be email@example.com.
What is bcc?
"Bcc" is an abbrevation for "blind carbon copy". You
can use this to send a copy of the message to other net users as well
as to the main recipient, who cant see who else you are sending the message
What is cc?
"cc" is an abbreviation of "carbon copy". You can
use this to send a copy of message to other net users as well as to the
is a folder?
A folder is a place within an e-mail program in which you can store e-mails
that you've read and that you want to keep. It's a good idea to set up
folders for individuals with whom you correspond regularly, and to store
the messages you receive from them in their corresponding folders. This
will help keep your inbox uncluttered and make it easier for you to locate
messages you'd like to read again.
What does "From:" field indicates?
The From: field in a message tells you who sent you the message. Normally,
this will be an individual's e-mail address.
What is Inbox?
An inbox is a window in your e-mail program in which incoming mails are
What is Out(box)?
An outbox is a window in your e-mail program in which outgoing mails are
stored. Your outbox also shows you the messages that have been queued
What is Mailbox?
The word "mailbox" can have either of two meanings when relating
1. It can refer to the area on your ISP's Server for the storage of your
2. It can refer to an area within your e-mail program in which you.
3. It can store messages from a particular recipient.
What is a message?
"Message" is the e-mail term for a letter.
What is Offline?
Offline is the state of your computer when it's not currently connected
to the Internet.E-mail programs allow you to write and read -- but not
send or receive -- e-mails while offline.
What is Online?
Online is the state in which your computer is currently connected to the
What is POP?
In e-mail, "POP" stands for "Post Office Protocol".
This is the protocol used by your E-Mail program to retrieve messages
from your ISP's Mail Server. When you set up your e-mail program, you'll
need to provide your POP server's name or address.
SMTP stands for "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol." Most likely,
an ISP uses an SMTP server for the sending of outgoing mail. When you
set up your e-mail program, you'll need to provide your SMTP server's
name or address.
The recipient is the individual to whom you're sending a message.
What is 'forwarding of message'?
To forward a message is to receive a message and pass it along to another
e-mail programs provide a 'Forward' menu item or button that copies a
received message into a new message that you can then address to the desired
recipient. Your return address will automatically be copied into the messages
What is 'Reply'?
To reply is to respond to a message. . When you use your program's Reply
feature: the program will copy the name and address of the message's sender
into a new message's recipient field. It may also copy all of the original
message's text, or the currently selected portions of the message's text,
into the new message as a quote. You can then add your response to the
new message and send it.
What "To:" filed indicates in E-mail?
The To: field in a message tells you to whom the message has to be sent.
Normally, this will be an individual's e-mail address.
to configure Internet Explorer for receiving my mails directly?
1. Launch the Microsoft Outlook Express.
2. Click on the Tools menu.
3. Click on Accounts menu option.
4. Click on the Add button.
5. Click on the Mail option.
6. Enter your Name and click on the Next button.
7. Type in your email address and Click on the Next button.
8. Enter the address for the incoming mail server as 22.214.171.124 for
the incoming and out going SMTP servers.
9. Enter your user-id in the POP3 account name text box. For example,
the name will be abc.
10. Enter your Password and click the Next Button.
11. Enter the Internet Mail Account Name as per your choice and click
on the Next button.
12. Select appropriate connection type and Click on the Next button.
13. Click on the finish button to complete the configuration process and
to save the Settings Changes.
am unable to send and receive mails?
1. Connect to POL.
2. Check for the browser configuration. (SMTP & POP).
What do I need to get connected?
1. Before you can access the Internet, you must have
2. A modem connected to your computer.
3. An access account with an Internet service provider.
4. A software program called browser that you can use to access the different
features of the Internet.
5. A telephone line.
What can I do on the Internet?
Once you are on the Internet, the possibilities of what you can do, learn
and discuss are immensely expanded when compared with the traditional
ways of communicating. There are many advantages when you access the Internet:
- Exchange information with others
- Receive the latest information
- Access to Worldwide data
- Transfer data regardless of computer type
- Recreation and entertainment
How do I create a new dialup connection?
1. Double Click My Computer icon which will be on the Desktop.
2. You have to select Dial Up Networking Option , Double click and continue.
3. Click on Make New Connection option.
4. This will prompt you for entering the name of the connection , you
can give a name for the connection Say "My Connection1 / Pol 1".
5. Click on the NEXT button.
6. Give the area code, for Mumbai this is 049. Then give the telephone
number you are trying to dial.(the telephone number given by the ISP).
Select the country code as India(91) and say Next.
7. Click on Finish to complete the process.
8. Now you have successfully created the New Dial up Connection, right
click on the New Dial up Connection (i.e., My Connection 1/ Pol1 ) and
create a short cut on the desk top. Now double click the New Connection
for connecting to the internet.
What is a modem?
A modem modulates outgoing digital signals from a computer to analog signals
for a conventional telephone line and demodulates the incoming analog
signal and converts it to a digital signal for the computer.
to install a modem?
1. Click start on the task bar.
2. Go to Settings and click on Control Panel.
3. Double click on Modems.
4. Click on the Add Button in the Modem Properties dialog box
5. Click on the Next button.
6. Click on the Next button.
7. Click on the Next button.
8. Click on Yes to allow Windows O/S to locate the New Hardware.
9. Windows detect the new modem and displays the ports that has to selected.
10. Select the appropriate port (say Com2) and Click on the Next Button.
11. Specify the drivers if required and click on the Have Disk Button
12. Select the appropriate communication port.
13. Click on the Next Button.
The modem will be installed on your machine. Note: You need to have a
CD-ROM and Dial-up Networking, Dial-up Adapter and TCP/IP.
Should I install Dial- Up adapter and TCP/IP?
1. Click on the start Button on the Task bar.
2. Click on the Settings menu option.
3. Click on the Control Panel menu option.
4. Double Click on the Network icon.
5. Click on the Add button in the Network Dialog box.
6. Select Adapter from the list and click on the Add button.
7. Select Microsoft under manufacturers list and Dial-Up adapter in the
Network adapter list.
8. Click on OK button.
9. Repeat step no 6.
10. Select protocol in the Network component list and click on the Add
button to install TCP/IP.
11. Click on the Microsoft in the manufacturers list and TCP/IP on the
network Protocols lists.
12. Click on the Ok Button.
13. Click on YES. To restart your computer once for changes to take effect.
© 2006 Vignesh.in
Computer Services. All rights reserved.